Your meds should always stay in the medicine cabinet. It can be very easy to leave medication on the counter, which can be very dangerous if you have a dog. Dogs who get a hold of medication in the house can be in danger of very bad health conditions and even death. Stay alert and keep those meds out of reach!
Here are some human medications that can be a hazard:
- NSAIDs – Advil, Aleve, Motrin, and others like these can cause stomach ulcers and kidney failure just by having one or two pills.
- Acetaminophen – pain medications like Tylenol can lead to liver failure and red blood cell damage in dogs.
- Antidepressants – overdosing can cause serious health problems such as tremors and seizures. Also, an increased heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature can occur.
- ADD/ADHD Meds – Adderall, Ritalin, and other medications like these will cause tremors, seizures and heart problems.
- Benzodiazepines and sleep aids
- Birth control
- ACE Inhibitors
- Thyroid hormones
- Cholesterol lowering agents
Keeping medications away from your dog is the best thing to do for their health. You never know when you may accidentally leave pills on the counter where they can reach. Just think about times when dogs have reached up on the counter to steal some of the food or dessert you left on the counter. It’s the same situation with medication.
At Jubilee Labradoodles, we breed Australian Labradoodles and Goldendoodles in Michigan. All of our dogs live in our home as our pets, and we offer a lifetime of breeder support to help in every possible way because we are family. Our dogs need loving and care just as much as people do and caring for their health is extremely important.
Contact Jubilee Labradoodles at 517-902-9808 to find out more on our Australian Labradoodle and Goldendoodle adoptions!