What NOT to Feed Your Labradoodle

what not to feed labradoodles

Your Labradoodle is part of your family; a loved and treasured member. So you want to make sure she gets the best nutrition, and never eats anything that’s bad for her. “People food” is for people, not dogs. Oh, your dog may look up at you with liquid eyes, but do not be lured into giving her stuff from your table. Here is a list of some foods you should NEVER feed your dog.

Avocado

There is a substance in avocados called persin that can be toxic to dogs. It also exists in the bark, seed, and leaves of the plant. Keep it away from your dog.

Alcohol

Any kind of alcohol can do the same damage to a dog’s brain and liver that it does to a human in a much shorter time. Even a tiny amount can bring on vomiting and diarrhea, breathing difficulties, coma and even death.

Garlic and Onions

These can cause anemia in dogs and also be very toxic to them as well.

Caffeine

Coffees, teas, chocolate – anything containing caffeine should be avoided. Some symptoms of poisoning are rapid breathing and heart palpitations, restlessness, fits and bleeding.

Raisins and Grapes

While certain fruits are okay for dogs (like watermelon) grapes and raisins can make your dog very ill. Keep them off countertops and out of sight.

Macadamia Nuts

These nuts can create tremors, rapid heart rate, raised temperatures, weakness or even paralysis of the hind legs. Keep alert.

Candy, Gum, Toothpaste

Sugar is bad for all of us, but especially your Labradoodle. It can cause hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, and even liver failure.

Peaches, Persimmons and Plums

The seeds are the culprits here. They can cause intestinal inflammation and obstruction, and plum and peach pits contain cyanide which is poisonous to humans and animals.

Raw Animal Protein

Raw fish, meat, and poultry contain parasites that may even be fatal to dogs. No raw eggs either.

Salt

Keep that salted pretzel to yourself. Too much salt can cause ion poisoning and the symptoms can be as dire as death. Vomiting, diarrhea, and depression are some other symptoms as well as excessive urination and thirst.

Yeast Dough

Yeast dough can rise in a dogs abdomen, swelling it and causing severe pain.

People Medications

NEVER give your dog human meds before consulting with your vet. They could be deadly.

Xylitol

This is commonly found in foods labeled as “sugarless” or “sugar free.” This can be deadly to dogs. It’s also known to cause liver failure, hypoglycemia, ataxia, and seizures.

Even with your eye on your Labradoodle, she may get into something she shouldn’t. Keep your vet’s number and the number of the nearest emergency pet clinic readily accessible. And the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s number is (888)426-4435.

Like what you read? Subscribe below!

iPosts RSS
iComments RSS

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.