We’re all guilty of giving our four-legged friends scraps from our plates. Whether it’s a taste of our chicken, the gristle from our steak, the crust from our pizza or just “prerinsing” plates before washing, our dogs love to get a taste of our food. However, in recent years there’s been a lot of talk about a hidden danger that’s a common sweetener in our food – xylitol – which can be deadly for canines.
What is xylitol?
Xylitol is a sweetener that has been gaining in popularity, as researchers have found that it limits the risks of cavities, seems to help control insulin levels in diabetics, prevents respiratory infections, and strengthens bones, according to a 2014 article. One of the foods it’s found in most commonly is peanut butter, and a few different manufacturers include it in their products.
What’s the danger?
While safe for people, xylitol can cause a number of problems for our furry friends. Preventive Vet notes in a recent post that xylitol can lead to a serious drop in the blood sugar levels of dogs, a condition known medically as hypoglycemia. Additionally, just a small amount of the substance can lead to serious liver damage in dogs. Both of these conditions can quickly become life threatening, and even fatal!
What should I do?
The simplest solution is the easiest: Simple don’t give your dog foods with xylitol. By reading your food labels before giving your doodle a taste of your treats, you can prevent problems before they start. There are also a number of delicious treats you can make using all natural or organic peanut butter options, which are still just as great for your pet as those made with other products. Take a few minutes to check before giving your dog a treat and you’ll have nothing to worry about!
Whether you’re looking to add a new friend to your snack time or want to expand your dinner crowd, Jubilee Labradoodles has numerous labradoodles and goldendoodles that would make great additions to your family. Contact us today for more information on these sweet treats to add to your life!